Sports Medicine Australia (SMA) is a multi-disciplinary organisation of professionals committed to enhancing the health of all Australians through safe participation in sport and recreation activities.
Through services to our membership and the community, Sports Medicine Australia will function as the peak authority on:
- Medicine and science in physical activity and sport
- Medical and health care of active persons at all levels
- Well being through safe physical activity
- Prevention of health problems associated with inactivity
All Members of Sports Medicine Australia will:
- Uphold the mission of Sports Medicine Australia.
- Respect human life and well being.
- Uphold the ethics, values and ideals of their respective disciplines.
- Strive to improve the standards and quality of Sports Medicine services in the community.
- Promote and recognise the achievements and goals of all other affiliated SMA disciplines.
- Provide an objective and confidential service to the best of his/her ability - with the sports person's best interests in mind.
- Show prudence and balanced judgements when dealing with any situation that may confront them, whilst upholding the mission of Sports Medicine Australia.
- Never deny attention to any sports person on the basis of their culture, ethnicity, religion, political beliefs, sex, sexual orientation or the nature of their injury or condition.
- Inform and advise the sports person about the nature of their injury or condition and its possible consequences, the probable cause and available treatments or programs with the likely benefits and risks of each.
- Ensure that the sports person obtains the care they need, if the expertise required by the sports person is beyond the limitations of the practitioner. On referral of the sports person, it is also the responsibility of the practitioner to provide all relevant information on the subject.
- Continue further education and remain up to date with current procedures and techniques, to ensure they are providing the best possible service for sports persons.
- Make available, any knowledge acquired through further study or other avenues, for the benefit of all.
- Ensure all advertising abides by the guidelines set by the member's respective discipline.
- Not use the SMA name and/or initials to signify membership of SMA unless authorised by SMA as practice branding.